Bacon Dandelion Green Pesto
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup spiced pecans (see recipe below)
- 1 cup packed fresh dandelion greens (stems removed)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Regiano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped crisply cooked bacon
- 2/3 to 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Place basil, dandelion greens, spiced pecans, garlic, parmesan, salt, pepper and bacon in the bowl of a food processor with a metal blade or blender.
2. While the machine is running, gradually add the oil to make a paste.
Turn into a storage dish and be sure to cover the entire surface of the pesto with a thin coat of olive oil to prevent discoloring. Pesto will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks, and it also freezes well.
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat oven to 350 °F. Place pecans in a small baking dish and add remaining ingredients. Toss together to combine, coating pecans well with spices. Bake for 7-10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.